H-1B visa fee hike: Beneficiaries like Musk, Nadella, Pichai silent

**H-1B Visa Fee Hike: Beneficiaries Like Musk, Nadella, Pichai Remain Silent**

*By Dwaipayan Roy | Sep 21, 2025, 06:25 PM*

Silicon Valley’s tech giants, including Elon Musk, Sundar Pichai, and Satya Nadella, have remained notably silent following the Trump administration’s recent announcement of a new $100,000 fee on H-1B visa petitions. This silence is particularly surprising given Elon Musk’s previously strong opposition to changes in the H-1B visa system.

**Elon Musk’s Previous Stance on H-1B Visa Changes**

Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, has been vocal about his concerns regarding modifications to the H-1B visa program. In December, Musk posted on X (formerly Twitter) highlighting that many critical employees who helped build SpaceX, Tesla, and other successful tech companies are here on H-1B visas. He even went so far as to threaten to “go to war” over changes affecting this visa category.

**Details of the New H-1B Visa Fee**

The newly signed rules by President Trump introduce a hefty $100,000 fee for H-1B visa petitions. According to the administration, this measure is intended to ensure that only “extraordinarily skilled” individuals are permitted to enter the United States, preventing companies from replacing American workers with foreign professionals. The policy is expected to heavily impact Indian tech workers, who comprise approximately 71% of all H-1B visa holders.

**Clarifications on the Fee**

The administration has clarified that the new rule applies solely to new visa petitions and does not affect existing H-1B visa holders who are re-entering the U.S. White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt explained on X that the $100,000 charge “is NOT an annual fee. It’s a one-time fee that applies only to the petition.” Here, a petition refers to a company’s formal request to bring a skilled worker from another country into the United States.

As this major policy change unfolds, the silence from leading tech beneficiaries raises questions about the future landscape of skilled immigration in the U.S. and its impact on the technology sector.
https://www.newsbytesapp.com/news/business/h-1b-visa-s-100-000-fee-what-are-silicon-valley-ceos-saying/story

‘GST Bachat Utsav’ from tomorrow: PM Modi announces price cuts

**‘GST Bachat Utsav’ from Tomorrow: PM Modi Announces Price Cuts**

*By Snehil Singh | September 21, 2025, 5:20 PM*

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced the launch of a “GST Bachat Utsav” starting September 22, describing it as a next-generation reform aimed at transforming the economy. The new Goods and Services Tax (GST) rates, effective from Monday, are designed to reduce the cost of daily essentials and stimulate consumption-driven growth across India.

“This reform is not only about reducing prices but about creating new opportunities,” PM Modi said during his nationwide address on Sunday.

**Economic Impact: GST Reforms to Benefit 99% of Goods**

According to the Prime Minister, the recent GST reforms will benefit 99% of goods, which will now fall under the 5% tax slab. Simplifying the tax structure to mainly two slabs—5% and 18%—will help make common goods more affordable for everyday consumers.

PM Modi emphasized that these changes will not only lower prices but also unlock new avenues for economic growth across multiple sectors, including industry, agriculture, and services.

**Public Focus: Double Bonanza for Poor and Neo-Middle Class**

Highlighting the social impact, the Prime Minister noted that the GST reforms prioritize public welfare, offering a “double bonanza” to the poor and the neo-middle class.

“When the purchasing power of people rises, it benefits every sector—from industry to agriculture to services. This is a reform that will touch every household,” he said.

**Political Response**

Earlier, the Congress party questioned whether PM Modi would address concerns related to former U.S. President Donald Trump’s remarks on India-Pakistan relations and issues concerning H-1B visa holders. However, PM Modi’s address primarily focused on outlining the benefits of the GST cuts and the government’s broader economic roadmap.

The GST rate reductions were initially announced by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman earlier this month, marking the most significant indirect tax reform since July 2017.

With these reforms, the government aims to boost consumption, make essential goods more affordable, and spur inclusive economic growth across the country. The “GST Bachat Utsav” celebrations starting tomorrow are expected to bring immediate relief to consumers while supporting India’s growth trajectory in the coming years.
https://www.newsbytesapp.com/news/india/pm-modi-announces-gst-bachat-utsav-from-tomorrow/story

Madhya Pradesh: ED Attaches Properties Worth ₹4.5 Crore In Alirajpur District

**Enforcement Directorate Attaches Properties Worth Rs 4.5 Crore in Alirajpur Fraud Case**

*Indore (Madhya Pradesh)* – The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has attached 14 immovable properties valued at Rs 4.5 crore under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) in connection with a case involving the misuse of government funds and fraudulent billing in Alirajpur district.

The attached properties belong to the main accused, Kamal Rathore, and others associated with the Block Education Office (BEO) of Katthiwada village, Alirajpur. The attachment operation was carried out by the Indore sub-zonal office of the ED.

This action follows an investigation initiated after a case was registered at the Katthiwada police station against officials and employees of the Block Education Office, Katthiwada. The probe uncovered large-scale misuse of government funds through fake bills generated and approved on the Integrated Financial Management System (IFMS) between 2018 and 2023.

Earlier searches conducted under Section 17 of the PMLA resulted in the seizure of incriminating documents and a substantial amount of cash. Kamal Rathore, the principal accused, was arrested by the ED on August 7 and is currently in judicial custody.

The investigation further revealed that approximately Rs 20.47 crore was fraudulently deposited into 134 bank accounts via 917 fake bills. The accused reportedly withdrew large sums in cash and laundered the money through relatives. Several properties purchased in the names of family members were subsequently sold to conceal the illegal origins of the funds.

The ED continues its probe to unearth the full extent of the financial irregularities and recover the misappropriated assets.
https://www.freepressjournal.in/indore/madhya-pradesh-ed-attaches-properties-worth-45-crore-in-alirajpur-district

Leaving Hamas in power would be a cowardly betrayal of the Israeli people – opinion

**Leaving Hamas in Power Would Be a Cowardly Betrayal of the Israeli People**

*Opinion*

As the Israel-Hamas war drags on, those who have sacrificed in this prolonged conflict are growing increasingly frustrated with both Israeli and U.S. officials. The ongoing operations and the cost borne by the Israeli people demand decisive action.

![IDF operating in the Gaza Strip on September 19, 2025](URL-to-photo)
*Photo Credit: IDF Spokesperson’s Unit*

By Jonathan Pollard

[Loading…]
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-868170

How far has Israel fallen? Netanyahu dragged Israel into complete isolation – opinion

How Far Has Israel Fallen? Netanyahu Dragged Israel Into Complete Isolation

It has long been a Netanyahu mantra that Israel must stand against a hostile world, alone if necessary. However, through his own government’s missteps, he has brought Israel to the brink of true isolation.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the opening of the Knesset Museum, Jerusalem, August 11, 2025; illustrative.
(Photo credit: YONATAN SINDEL/FLASH90)

By MARK LAVIE / THE MEDIA LINE

https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-868172

How far has Israel fallen? Netanyahu dragged Israel into complete isolation – opinion

How Far Has Israel Fallen? Netanyahu Dragged Israel into Complete Isolation

It has long been a Netanyahu mantra that Israel must stand against a hostile world, alone if necessary. However, through his own government’s missteps, he has brought Israel to the brink of true isolation.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the opening of the Knesset Museum, Jerusalem, August 11, 2025; illustrative.
Photo credit: YONATAN SINDEL/FLASH90

By MARK LAVIE / THE MEDIA LINE

https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-868172

Assam declares three-day state mourning in honour of Zubeen Garg

The Assam government has announced a three-day state mourning following the death of renowned singer Zubeen Garg, reported news agency ANI.

The Assam Chief Minister’s Office (CMO) stated that there will be no official entertainment, ceremonial programs, or public celebrations during this period. However, “essential activities” will continue under the ‘Sewa Saptah’ campaign.

This decision for a three-day state mourning was taken by Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma. In a tweet, CM Sarma wrote, “In loving memory of Assam’s eternal voice, Zubeen Garg. As a mark of respect, HCM Dr @himantabiswa has directed that State Mourning be declared from 20th to 22nd September 2025. During this period, all official entertainment, ceremonial programs, and public celebrations will be in abeyance. Assam Government stands in solidarity with the people in mourning beloved Zubeen. His legacy will forever resonate in our hearts. Essential service activities under ‘Sewa Saptah’ will continue, while ceremonial or benefit-distribution events stand postponed.”

Earlier, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma provided updates regarding the mortal remains of the late singer, who passed away at the age of 52 in Singapore on Friday. On Saturday, the CM posted on X (formerly Twitter) that Garg’s post-mortem will be conducted in Singapore, after which his mortal remains will be handed over to Indian authorities.

In another tweet, he announced that Garg’s mortal remains will be kept at Sarusajai, Guwahati, to allow supporters to pay their last tributes.

The sudden demise of Zubeen Garg has left a deep void among his fans both in Assam and beyond. The Chief Minister, who has been in regular contact with Singaporean authorities, has requested a detailed inquiry into the circumstances leading to Garg’s death. According to ANI, CM Sarma stated, “I spoke to the High Commissioner of Singapore, His Excellency Simon Wong, and requested a detailed enquiry into the circumstances leading to the untimely demise of our beloved Zubeen Garg. Excellency has assured me of complete cooperation in this regard.”

The Assam CM also shared that he will travel to the national capital on Saturday to receive Garg’s mortal remains. “I will be going to Delhi later today to receive our beloved Zubeen’s mortal remains from Singapore. From there, we will immediately bring him back to Guwahati, hopefully by 6 am,” he added.

Meanwhile, fans across Assam, including those in Guwahati and Jorhat, were seen breaking down as they paid emotional tributes to the beloved singer.

(With inputs from ANI)
https://www.mid-day.com/news/india-news/article/assam-declares-three-day-state-mourning-in-honour-of-zubeen-garg-cm-to-receive-late-singers-mortal-remains-23594981

Tribal farmers can lease land to private entities; govt to bring law: Minister

Tribal farmers in Maharashtra will soon have the opportunity to lease their land to private entities for agricultural purposes or mineral excavation, enabling them to generate additional income, state Revenue Minister Chandrashekhar Bawankule has announced.

Currently, tribal farmers are not permitted to independently enter into lease agreements with private parties. However, a new law is set to change this, providing tribals direct access to private investment while safeguarding their land ownership rights.

Speaking to reporters in Gadchiroli on Friday evening, Bawankule stated, “A law will be brought soon. Under this policy, tribal farmers will be able to lease out their land directly to private parties for agricultural purposes or mineral excavation.”

To ensure transparency and fairness, all lease agreements will require the participation of the district collector. The minister added, “The minimum lease rent will be Rs 50,000 per acre annually or Rs 1,25,000 per hectare per year. Farmers and private parties can mutually decide on a higher amount.”

Additionally, tribal farmers will be allowed to enter into Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) with private companies for mineral excavation if major or minor minerals are discovered on their land. They will receive monetary benefits based on the quantity of minerals extracted, either per tonne or per brass, although the exact compensation details are yet to be finalized.

Bawankule emphasized that tribal farmers will not have to approach Mantralaya in Mumbai for approvals; decisions can be made at the district collectorate level, streamlining the process.

Officials explained that this policy aims to secure a steady source of revenue for tribal communities while protecting their ownership rights. Previously, strict regulations to prevent misuse of tribal land often caused delays and made tribals dependent on state-level permissions.

This development marks a significant step toward empowering tribal farmers economically while ensuring their land rights remain intact.

*This article includes information sourced from third-party syndicated feeds. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for the dependability, trustworthiness, or reliability of the content. Mid-day management reserves the right to alter, delete, or remove content at its sole discretion without prior notice.*
https://www.mid-day.com/news/india-news/article/tribal-farmers-can-lease-land-to-private-entities-govt-to-bring-law-minister-23594956

Constables Trained With Police Band Shall Not Perform Without Their Wish, Says Madhya Pradesh High Court

**Jabalpur High Court Rules Against Sending MP Police Constables for Band Duties Without Consent**

The High Court of Madhya Pradesh has ruled that Constables (General Duty) of the MP Police who have undergone police band training cannot be assigned to perform or play in police band functions without their consent.

This directive came during the hearing of a petition filed by MK Rawat, Pradeep Bhuriya, Ravindra Kushwaha, Prakash Singh, and Rahul Girwal, all posted as Constables (General Duty) in MP Police. Justice Vivek Jain stated, “In view of the position that the petitioners have already undertaken training of police band, it is observed that they shall not be sent for police band duties without their consent.”

The constables had challenged departmental orders requiring them to undergo police band training. While their training on musical instruments was completed, they objected to being deployed to perform in various functions and programmes.

The petitioners relied on a previous High Court order dated February 21, 2024, which had held that police personnel cannot be sent for training or assigned duties related to playing the band without their consent.

According to the petitioners’ counsel, Nityanand Mishra, the constables’ primary responsibilities involve maintaining law and order and investigating offences. Therefore, their consent is essential before being deployed for police band performances during official events.

This ruling safeguards the rights of police personnel by ensuring that their deployment for specialized duties like police band performances is voluntary and not imposed.
https://www.freepressjournal.in/bhopal/constables-trained-with-police-band-shall-not-perform-without-their-wish-says-madhya-pradesh-high-court

India’s first trillion-parameter model to power next-gen AI apps

**India’s First Trillion-Parameter AI Model to Power Next-Gen Applications**

*By Mudit Dube | Sep 19, 2025, 05:18 PM*

In a major stride for India’s artificial intelligence landscape, BharatGen—a government-backed consortium led by IIT Bombay—has been awarded over ₹900 crore under the IndiaAI Mission. This substantial funding will support the creation of India’s first trillion-parameter large language model (LLM), designed to fuel next-generation AI applications across multiple sectors.

### Building a Trillion-Parameter Model for India

The ambitious project aims to develop a massive AI model tailored specifically for Indian contexts. However, this colossal “mother” model is not intended for direct consumer use. Instead, it will be distilled into smaller, domain-specific models suited for industries such as law, agriculture, and finance.

Rishi Bal, Executive Vice President at BharatGen, explained that these distilled models could serve practical uses—like agricultural advisory tools available in various regional languages or legal assistants trained on Indian case law—making AI more accessible and useful across diverse fields.

### Creating a Sovereign Indian Dataset

To ensure that the LLM accurately reflects India’s unique languages and cultures, BharatGen is heavily investing in building a sovereign dataset. The consortium is collaborating with publishers to license archival content and is providing free OCR services to digitize regional texts.

Furthermore, crowdsourced annotation efforts are underway to capture the linguistic nuances and cultural specificities of Indian languages. This indigenous data collection strategy is aimed at reducing reliance on foreign datasets and better aligning AI outputs with Indian realities.

### Overcoming GPU Supply and Funding Challenges

Training a trillion-parameter AI model requires thousands of GPUs working in parallel, and hardware availability remains a key challenge. Bal noted that, like many in the field, BharatGen must navigate GPU supply constraints.

The ₹900 crore government funding will partially subsidize GPU acquisition, supporting the computational backbone of this mammoth training effort. Under the IndiaAI Mission, nearly 40,000 GPUs have been allocated across various initiatives, including BharatGen’s sovereign LLM project.

### Focus on Reliability and Real-World Impact

BharatGen CEO Ganesh Ramakrishnan emphasized that the focus is on building models grounded in Indian data and languages rather than simply scaling up parameters. He highlighted the importance of reliability for real-world applications.

The consortium plans to release distilled models to developers, enabling startups and enterprises to build AI-powered solutions without needing to train massive models from scratch. This approach is expected to accelerate innovation and democratize access to cutting-edge AI technology.

### Collaborative, Efficient Operations

Operating on a hub-and-spoke model with teams spread across India, BharatGen brings together engineers, data scientists, and domain experts while maintaining lean operations. This distributed structure fosters collaboration and specialization.

Looking ahead, BharatGen is exploring public-private partnerships and sustainable revenue models such as licensing distilled AI models — ensuring continuous growth and broader adoption of Indian AI technologies.

With this landmark project, BharatGen is paving the way for AI systems that are not only powerful but also deeply rooted in India’s linguistic and cultural landscape, promising impactful and reliable applications across the nation’s key sectors.
https://www.newsbytesapp.com/news/science/iit-bombay-s-bharatgen-to-build-1t-parameter-ai-model/story